Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

New decade; new office

Same location here in the Zeppelin Hangar, just rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I've been meaning to reset my office for all of 2009. As the year draws to a close, I'm finally doing it.

On Sunday, I was exceptionally brave. I unplugged absolutely everything in my office. Cable modem, router, UPS back-up power supply, three surge protectors, a cacophony of electrical cords, Firewire cables, Ethernet cables, USB cables, phone lines, and various other computer cables (external monitor, speakers, and what all).

Then I :

-- moved everything off my desk and credenza, moved credenza to kitchen to get it out of the way, moved various other small tables/drawers out of office work area

-- moved Mac-on-a-stick up to guest bedroom; powered it up and confirmed it's working

-- cleaned 5.5 years of dust build-up in inaccessible corners and bits. Swept, vacuumed, vacuumed some more, rolled up area rug, cleaned the floor using up three Swiffer pads, re-set carpet. Continued cleaning as I went along.

-- moved various pieces of office furniture back into office work area, rotating the desk and credenza 90 degrees clockwise

-- situated the UPS into what's probably a temporary location (but relatively easy to plug stuff into)

-- plugged phone line into back of UPS (and from there, into the wall)

-- plugged phone into separate surge protector

-- reconnected the cable modem to the coax

-- plugged the power supply directly into the UPS

-- plugged the wireless router directly into the UPS

-- plugged my laptop into separate surge protector; set laptop up in new "home" spot on credenza

-- plugged the mouse directly into the laptop since I don't yet have the USB hub reconnected

-- woke up laptop

-- turned on wireless

-- went online

-- went upstairs, turned Mac-on-a-stick wireless on; went online (only two bars of signal, but working)

Monday afternoon, I discovered that I like the new furniture set-up as much as I did at dawn, as I was finishing up the first day's work on the project. After sending a couple of work files off to the printer in Minnesota, I:

-- went digging through my extra cables looking for a longer length of coax to better position the cable modem
(only found shorter ones and while I do have some feed-thru connectors, I came up with another solution for now.)

-- assembled small brick'n'board shelf that doesn't block baseboard radiator *and helps hide cords* while also providing temporarily clean and always flat surface for putting small components -- cable modem, wireless router, USB hub for inkjet printers

-- connected all three printers labeling each electrical cord and connection wire so I can tell what cord/cable goes to what device!

-- cleaned more. Nothing gets back on the desk or into the work area without being cleaned.

-- confirmed that all three printers work from laptop.

Next step: set-up new desktop computer. (The one that saved my professional tuckus while my laptop went off to Texas for repairs while I was traveling. See what it thinks of the printers. After that, start installing external hard drives. (Firewire 800 cables arrive Tuesday, so there's a limit to how much I can do on that tonight.)

So far, so good.

(Who knew staplers and tape dispensers could get so dirty?)


Geri 2014
Geri Sullivan

Latest Month

April 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Ideacodes