Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Sunday, Monday

Sunday and Monday were intense, even by 2011's standards. One memorial + one overnight hospice caregiving visit + a visit to yet another friend finishing his first week of an expected month-long stay in another New York hospital = two thoroughly rewarding yet utterly exhausting days.

Sunday started with a trip to the New York Academy of Medicine for a memorial celebration of Dr. Rosalyn S. Yalow's life. The 2-hour program did a beautiful job of honoring her memory while also sharing a fully-developed picture of her as seen through the eyes of her children, grandchildren, co-workers, colleagues, and students.

I went straight from the memorial to the hospice bedside of my friend Susan Palermo, spending from Sunday evening through Monday afternoon with her while her fiancé Ed made a much-needed trip home to New Jersey. The end has been thought to be imminent multiple times, in January, in February and March, and most recently at the end of August. Still, she holds fast and hard to life and I am honored to be able to help ease her time here in whatever ways I can.

Monday evening, I became familiar with yet another NYC hospital. I found my way to New York Presbyterian to visit yet another friend, this one recently diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. He's just finished 7 days of "Induction Chemotherapy" and is really feeling its effects. Although he's very social, he's not up for much at all in the way of visitors right now so that was a short visit by necessity.

I then headed up to Joe & Edie's, still at least half-intending to drive the rest of the way home Monday night. Edie immediately offered me a bowl of her homemade soup. What a blessing. I'd managed only one real meal -- Sunday dinner -- in those two days and was even lower on protein than I was on calories. A quick check of the weather forecast on my phone added to Joe's encouragement to stay over: there was a 90% chance of heavy rain along the route home.

My attempts to get up and on the road at a reasonable hour Tuesday failed miserably. That came as no surprise given the previous two days...and the week before them. I finally made my way home through rush hour, completely missing my Yochi class. Duh and dammit.

The rest of this week looks to be back at "normal" levels of intense; here's hoping that proves to be the case.


( 4 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 5th, 2011 11:36 am (UTC)
The rest of this week looks to be back at "normal" levels of intense; here's hoping that proves to be the case.

I hope for same for you.
Oct. 5th, 2011 02:25 pm (UTC)
Gah, what a trying time. Solidarity and best wishes to you, kid!
Oct. 5th, 2011 03:50 pm (UTC)
You're a very good friend (but we knew that already)! Hope you're maintaining an emotional even keel despite all of these somewhat depressing errands.
Oct. 10th, 2011 03:27 am (UTC)
Still pulling for you and thinking/feeling with you. I know you are on my side -- and I am on yours. Hang in there and do what it takes.

( 4 comments — Leave a comment )


Geri 2014
Geri Sullivan

Latest Month

April 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Ideacodes