Log in

No account? Create an account

Design for People: the power of promotion

The Cats Laughing Reunion Event & Album Kickstarter campaign has me dropping in at Kickstarter more frequently than is my usual wont. And instead of going to one of the updates and from there directly to the Cats Laughing page, I've just been typing "kickstarter.com". Danger, Will Robinson.

That's how I stumbled across Design for People, Saturday's Kickstarter Project of the Day.

Funny how when I found the page a few hours ago, they were still a few thousand dollars short of they $50,000 goal. Funny how a few hours after I watched Scott Stowell's brief "Pay Attention" lunch talk and supported the Kickstarter, Scott was sending out an unscheduled update announcing they'd hit the goal with 48 hours to go.

Thursday's AIGA article by Liz Stinson didn't hurt either, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to refreshing my own thoughts about and approach to collaborative design. I only wish the book were coming out now rather than planned for next June. Still, there's no doubt I'll still benefit from the creative kickstart then. :-)

For Don Fitch

Just in case you can read lj, but not email...

Flight *just* landed. See you 3ish.

Adventures, I tell you. Adventures. Good ones, except for the added hours.

I remember Stu

I met Stu Shiffman sometime in the 1980s. I think I knew him before he was Artist GoH at Minicon 20 in 1985, but can't point to a specific time or event, or even remember any specific conversations with him before Corflu 3 the following year. I surely saw his art and heard about him long before we met, mostly from Fred (pre-Levy) Haskell. The first thing I remember hearing about Stu was that he was a fan artist. The second was that his day job was in ladies lingerie. I've long since forgotten the details of that...something about the Garment District...someone who knew Stu back in the day, please fill me in.

My fanzine files contain RAFFLES #5, which Stu and Larry Carmody published in 1981 and a few copies of THE BIG SCHLEP (Part One; 1983, I think). But I'm pretty sure that POTSHERD number one (1985) is the first of Stu's fanzines that came in the mail.

Thirty years, that's not too many. Not nearly enough, as it turned out. Much as I can type the words, "Stu died last Wednesday"...much as I admire and appreciate the detailed obituary Mike Glyer wrote and published in File 770, my heart and mind are still back in the pre-Wednesday place. The place where Stu was unresponsive following a fall, where we were all waiting. Where we expected to keep waiting for another 90 days while brain swelling decreased, hoping Stu would regain responsiveness then. Instead, here we are, remembering.


I mostly knew Stu thanks to our shared love of fanzines. When I finally published my own, the ToC page of IDEA #1 included additional credit and thanks to "Stu Shiffman and Mike Glicksohn: for encouragement to do a 'real' fanzine." Stu gifted me with bespoke art, fillos, covers, and more over the next 20 years, for IDEA and SCIENCE-FICTION FIVE-YEARLY as well as special projects like BEYOND THE ENCHANTED DUPLICATOR...TO THE ENCHANTED CONVENTION. Snapshots of some of that art, mostly mimeographed onto Fibertone.Collapse )

When Fred was Fan GoH at Minicon 22 in 1987, Stu, along with Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden, published WORKINGMAN'S FRED. It's one of those 'zines that's impossible to quote without printing the whole thing, so here's the cover art & fan club ad:



In October, 1988, I attended a Fanoclast meeting in Stu's Washington Heights apartment at 19 Broadway Terrace. That was just a few months before he moved to Boston to be with Andi, and two years later, they moved to Seattle. And two years after that, they published FOLKAL POINT, "A Fanzine of Folk Music Opinion." Given my own interest in folk music, I'm surprised that I can't remember ever talking with Stu about it.

I saw him and Andi only rarely during the 1990s and had even less contact with them after I moved east and stopped flying here, there, and everywhere. But Andi's mother's death brought them to Connecticut in January, 2011, and the timing of that coincided with one of my early trips down to New York to spend time with Susan Palermo before her own death later that year. I stopped in West Hartford to express my condolences and visit for a brief hour or so. We'd all of course aged in the years since we'd last seen each other, but Stu was one of those rare people who looked better in his mid-50s than I'd ever seen him before. His always-boyish round face had matured into *woah* one darned attractive man. Stu was comfortable with his body in a way I'd never before witnessed, and his conversation reflected the fact that he was similarly comfortable with himself and his life. I loved being in his and Andi's presence, seeing his understanding and support through the shared grief and the reality of the work at hand.

It was a sad time for a visit and I couldn't have imagined it would be our last. Alas, that's what it turned out to be. And now we remember. Now we remember and grieve.

After Stu's stroke in June, 2012, I followed all of Tom Whitmore's updates on CaringBridge, all but holding my breath those first six months, when every step forward seemed to be accompanied by two steps back. Then the year turned, and slowly the balance shifted, there were more and more steps forward, then the joy of Stu and Andi's engagement, and their wedding this past summer. I'm thankful for all of that, and so loved their announcement when they decided to marry:

"We have been together for 25 years. On June 13, 2012, Stu suffered a serious stroke from which he has recovered to a major extent, although he still has more healing to do. In March of 2013, Andi turned 60 years old, while Stu will have his 60th birthday in February of 2014. We feel that we have good reason to talk about love and commitment.

Indeed. My heart goes out to Andi. I'm so very glad that she and Stu shared that love and commitment 'til death did them part, and I wish so very, very much that death had waited a good deal longer to come knocking.

That it didn't thoroughly sucks, dammit.

By popular demand

Santa Ducky's First Night at Toad Woods


Giving thanks

In these wee hours of Monday night/Tuesday morning, I am especially thankful to my father because the right socket and a ratchet handle beat the came-with-the-new-office-chair knock-off Allen wrench hands down and then some when it comes to putting said chair together. Said socket and ratchet followed me home from his basement workshop when we were cleaning out the house after his death. It's already been three years, and I'm usually as okay as one can be, but a few days ago I was standing in a grocery store and found myself missing him madly. Tonight, I was just thankful that he gladly and eagerly taught his all of his children how to use and respect tools, not just the boy-child.

I'm also especially thankful that Gavi is spending her Thanksgiving break here at Toad Woods, and that she prefers the companionship of setting up a work table in my office instead of being in a different room (or even a different floor -- there's a desk in the primary guest bedroom). Because said chair is now assembled and oh, so comfortable, and rolls oh, so smoothly instead of sitting in the box it arrived in...um...very early September. There would have been room for her even with the chair still in its box over by the supply bureau, but it was nice to have a motivational date for getting the job done, and tonight was it.

Much as I miss Tillie and Jinx, I'm also happy knowing that I won't be applying decorative duct tape to said chair to keep the innards from spilling all over the floor after Tillie and her claws had her way with it for a few months. She and Jinx left most household furnishings alone, but the vertical blinds in the dining area and my old office chair were the exceptions. Jinx left the chair alone since she wasn't inclined to seek close-up attention from her human. Tillie was rather the opposite of her daughter in that regard.

The old office chair served me well for seven years then limped along through one more year after it was worn out. Not bad for an $89 deal at Staples bought in Michigan to get me through a few weeks working at my sister's dining room table after she had hip replacement surgery. Not bad at all considering how much time I spend at my desk. The new chair is sturdier. Comfortable, too, and probably more so once I figure out the various settings and adjustments.


Because Friday is Forever in Internet Time

These are not the pictures you're looking for. Those won't be available until Friday, and we all know how good I am (NOT!) when it comes to posting photos in a timely fashion. I still haven't shown athenais and the rest of you how the Purple Rain and Burgundy trim looks on the freshly-painted Zeppelin Hanger and that goes back 6 months and more at this point.

Anyway, a few readers enthusiastically demanded photos in response to my last post. Since there's no such thing as patience on the internet, here they are. Yes, in consideration of all those readers who didn't demand photos, I'm making those who want to see them click through. Santa Ducky at Toad WoodsCollapse )

Below the next cut is an image of love at first sight. Note the size of Santa Duck in comparison to the other seasonal inflatables around her. Santa Ducky at Lowe'sCollapse )


It won't go out until Friday, of course

What's five and a quarter feet wide, nearly eight feet deep, and nine and a half feet tall?

My new inflatable Rubber Ducky, who just happens to also be decked out in a Santa hat and sparkly red scarf.

And it's 32% cheaper at Lowe's.

Yes, I also picked up the water softener salt I stopped there for.

Small mysteries

A few years ago, I had a handyman replace the outdoor floodlight fixture over the garage. Last winter, one of the light bulbs stopped working; I presumed it had burned out. I bought two replacement bulbs, figuring it wise to replace both at once (especially since the fixture is in a location I can't get to). I bought pricy, super-long lasting bulbs for the same parenthetical reason.

When the house painters were here, I asked them to replace both bulbs. They did. But the fixture didn't work. It has a motion detector and I could see a bit of an orange glow come on that seemed to indicate it was detecting motion, but no floodlights. My best guess was that there was something about my pricy, super-long lasting, fancy-dancy bulbs that didn't work in the fixture.

The guy at Lowe's thought any of their floodlight bulbs should work when I talked with him while buying lower-priced replacement bulbs. Of course, by the time I got around to doing that, the painters were long gone. One of these days, I really do have to buy an extension ladder....

The summer passed, with no floodlights, ever. I finally turned the switch off, flipping it every once in awhile wishing that hope might triumph over experience, but it never did.

On Monday, my neighbor came down to work out with me. (We've just started doing this; hope it sticks!) It was dark when she left, and she asked me to turn on the light. I told her it wasn't working and flipped the switch to demonstrate.

The floodlights came on, of course. They've been coming on regularly (when they should) for 48 hours now. They go off a bit more quickly than I would prefer (or that I remember them doing before), but they come on! I should know better than to look at this gift pony's teeth any more closely.

"Should know better" so rarely trumps "because curiosity."

I don't know enough about electricity to know if shorts or other wiring problems can be temperature sensitive. The Interwebs tell me that resistance typically increases as temperature increases, and, as a Wikipedia article says, "As a consequence, the resistance of wires, resistors, and other components often change with temperature. This effect may be undesired, causing an electronic circuit to malfunction at extreme temperatures."

Only it seems that my circuit resumed functioning as soon as it got cold. Besides, Massachusetts spring, summer, and fall temperatures can hardly be considered "extreme." Even this cold snap isn't extreme.

And if there were damage to the wiring, caused by mice or squirrels, for example, it hardly seems likely that there are rodent electricians in my Flamingo Loft, repairing damage done by their cousins.

So why did the fixture stop working as soon as the new floodlights were installed...and why did it start working 6-7 months later?

11/11: In memory of...

...my Grandpa Waldo Fitzgerald, who was a soldier in the Great War.

...and his brother Don Fitzgerald, one of oh, so many soldiers who spent the rest of his life suffering from the effects of mustard gas.

...and all who served in that awful war. The war thought to end all wars, only it didn't.

207 mph...

...in 4.8 seconds. On a bicycle.


Rider François Gissy went flying by the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, but was totally "whooosh" with none of that Ferrari rumble.

The leaves...

...are out of all but about five feet of the front gutter. The five feet I still can't reach, even with the platform ladder I bought back in June. But most of the gutter is finally clear...before the first snowfall...and the part that was threatening to fall off the house all together is once again nailed into place. It now seems likely to last the winter instead of certain to suffer catastrophic failure in the first big storm.

And I may even be able to wrestle the platform ladder into the rhododendrons and clear out those last few feet. I'll hope to try again in daylight.

While I'm both happy and relieved to have dealt with the immediate problem, I'm even happier to report that the new ladder is a total win. It's the first time I've cleaned that gutter with total ladder comfort and confidence. It's wider than a standard step ladder and has a small platform to stand on. It's far more stable, which comes in really handy on the uneven ground near the house. Easier on the feet, too. Win.

We won't talk about the leaves on the ground. Deal? Deal!

RIP: Velma (Vijay) deSelby-Bowen

Fan and 1999 TAFF delegate Velma (Vijay) deSelby-Bowen died in Seattle on October 18 following a brief battle with cancer.

Memories and more at Making Light and File 770
I join the Boskone committee in expressing regret that Robin McKinley (formerly-named GoH for 2015) had to bow out for unforeseen personal reasons, but, wow, am I ever pleased to know Steven Brust will be our Guest of Honor this coming February. What a sweet, sweet Valentine treat!

Boskone 52 runs February 13-15, 2015 at the Boston Westin Waterfront with guests:

Steven Brust, Guest of Honor
Charles Lang and Wendy Snow-Lang, Official Artists
Maya and Jeff Bohnhoff, Featured Filkers
Robert K. Wiener, Special Guest
Dave Clements, Science Speaker
Vincent DiFate, NESFA Guest

(links and more at the Boskone website)

The Cardis salutes...


(Open your window as wide as it will go to see the full images.)

Otto, a remarkable 1988 Mercedes G-Wagen, has traveled 900,000 kilometers through 179 countries. Otto has earned his upcoming spot in the Mercedes museum to Stuttgart, Germany.

At 200,536 miles, the Cardis has traveled a slight less than 36% as much as Otto, and only in the US and Canada. I dare say it's been jam-packed full far more frequently than Otto, though.

I was happy to spot the sign for Mt. Evans in the selected photos from Otto's journey. The Cardis hasn't been up that road, but I did so in a rental PT Cruiser a couple of years before the Cardis came into my life. I'm delighted to know Otto went there, too, right about the same time I did.
...were a big hit, and the butternut squash, red onion, & cranberry tagine was even more so.

Me, I want the recipe for the b'stilla. And the rice pudding. When on earth did I start liking rice pudding?

And the chicken, and the veg, and the fish balls....

(In other words, we starved.)

The sirloins...

...are marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cilantro, Harissa paste, and home-mixed Ras en Hanout. For my next trick, I'll make the fig-pistachio butter that attracted my eye to the Moroccan sirloin recipe in the first place. I don't have a SousVide, but I've found a Moroccan sirloin recipe that calls for grilling the steaks, so I think I'll be okay.

I'm going a bit over the top for this month's potluck dinner as I'm also making pumpkin, cranberry, & red onion tagine, albeit with butternut squash rather than pumpkin. And maybe a pistachio sauce, if I can find a recipe I want to follow.

It's not Moroccan (this month's dinner theme), but while looking for pistachio sauce recipes, I tripped across Farfalle with Pistachio Cream Sauce, so picked up some farfalle & heavy cream. With luck, I'll get around to making it this coming week in between work projects. The latter have been kicking my butt for several weeks and then some (it's my busy season), so I've done next to no cooking at home of late. It's one of many reasons I like the monthly potluck dinner group I'm in.

I still need to write up last Monday's FenCon-on-a-Stick outing to the State Fair of Texas as well as the unanticipated adventure we had getting back to the hotel. And oh, so many things, but for tonight, well, this is something, at least. Now to mince and chop figs and pistachios. (The ghee is already done.)

"No shit, there we were...."

FenCon-on-a-Stick was fabulous good fun and the trip back to the hotel was...um...an adventure. Yes, that's what it was, an Adventure.

Leane & I made it, eventually. A total stranger from out of the crowd proved not to be an axe murderer. (So few of them ever are; the odds were with us. Still, it was nice to have our unspoken assessment confirmed.)

I hope to write up the entire 4-harmony, but sleep, work, and travel are all higher on the priority list.

For future reference: if anyone at the Crowne Plaza in Addison, Texas tells you to take the Green Line DART train from the station right in front of the State Fair to the Addison stop, where the hotel shuttle will then pick you up, rest assured they haven't a clue as to what they're talking about. And if multiple people tell you that or otherwise confirm the accuracy of the information, rest assured none of them have a clue as to what they're talking about, either.

Biggest pleasant surprise of the day? Deep-fried Twinkies are remarkably tasty, in ways one would never think a Twinkie could possibly be.

P.S. Ostrich races are pretty darned amusing, too. And the architecture at the State Fair of Texas is by far the best I've seen at any fair, anywhere. 'Twas a splendid day.

"And you may take me to the Fair..."

The University of FenCon may have had its Commencement Ceremonies this afternoon (and it did, indeed. As FenCon XI's Dean of Fandom, I had the honor of handing out diplomas), but post-baccalaureate studies begin Monday with FenCon-On-a-Stick.

It's our outing to the State Fair of Texas, where deep-fried s'mores await, along with other culinary...adventures of the deep fried kind.

We look to have a merry crew: Pat Virzi, Leanne Verhulst, Jesi Pershing, Mark Oshiro, Kelsey whose-last name-I-don't-know, a David (of course and likewise re: last names), Steve Jackson, Tiffany (his GoH liaison), and perhaps one or two others plan to join us.

The expedition will follow the same format as the TAFF-On-A-Stick outings to the Minnesota State Fair back in 1998 and 2000. Here are Monday's meeting times and places:

11am Big Tex
12:30pm Butter Sculptures (Creative Arts bldg.)
2:30pm Texas Hall of State (in front)
4pm Marine Corps Drum & Bugle Corps (Marine Corps Square)
5:45pm Ostrich Races (Pan Am Barn)

FenCon has been fabulous fun. A fannish restorative, and then some. My thanks and appreciation to FenCon Chairman Tim Miller; Hotel Liaison (and next year's Chairman) Russ Miller; Guest Liaison Rhonda Eudaly, my FenCon drivers and onsite GoH support, Crystal Gayle and Ellen Braun; Ellen's husband, Mike Braun; Program Head Julie Barrett, the Phenomenal Pat Virzi, and oh, so many other fans who were so welcoming, friendly, and fun to be around.


Pat Virzi, Queen of the Hot Glue Gun

So, Pat & I just finished assembling "FenCon-On-A-Stick" schedules, using an assortment of short, "ooh, shiny" pencils and longer A.W. Faber 7058 "Perfection" typewriter erasers. With the brush end at the bottom, of course. Because had to be.

Pat wielded the hot glue gun, which did a stellar job affixing the sticks to the schedules. She of course came prepared with an assortment of other toys and decorations. Pat's the best.

Not to mention the Nature's Nectar Sparkling Spiced Pumpkin Cider. Yum. Yum. Yum.


Sep. 25th, 2014

Happy Birthday, catelynn!

It was great spending time with you and Bill & Mary's party last weekend. Here's to a fabulous year and more good times together.

RIP: Judie A. C. Cilcain

On July 20, 1982, I attended a Minn-StF meeting hosted by Judie Cilcain. She spelled her name Judy back in those days. They were long enough ago that I no longer remember if I'd met her before attending that meeting or not. I don't think so. But we were surely friends shortly thereafter, and that Moon Day Minn-StF meeting was the beginning of that. The next year, when Jan Appelbaum and I bought Toad Hall, we named Judie as Badger to go along with Jan as Ratty, me as Mole, and Karen Johnson as Toad.

Also in 1983, a few months before Jan and I bought Toad Hall, Karen Johnson and I set a date for Karen to teach me how to make chocolate mousse and me to teach her how to make baked Alaska. Don Bailey overheard our discussion and asked if he could come along and taste the results. Sure thing. Judie and David Cargo came, too, David freshly home from his first-ever business trip. IIRC, Judie brought a moist loaf of orange cake. Judie, David, Don, Karen, Jan, and I quickly discovered that three desserts are too many for six people, especially when seconds are involved. The next March, I hosted the another dessert party, and the annual tradition continued through the rest of the 1980s. Judie was the first to sign the Friends of Toad Hall Register on March 9, 1984, and her daughter, Kashia Curney, was the second.

Judie and David were at 10 of the first 15 events in the Toad Hall Register, and many, many more in the years that followed. We celebrated Judie's birthday at the Minneapa #184 collation in 1984; they came to Toad Hall Christmas, Minn-StF meetings, music parties, Minn-StF by-laws BBQs, Idea collations, dessert parties, and oh, so much more. We colored eggs together in the Leamington Hotel one Easter weekend, helped each other move, and saw each other through many major life events. Mostly, we just plain enjoyed each other's company, though not nearly enough in recent years. Even before I moved to Toad Woods, Judie sent me her StippleApa 'zines in thanks for Idea, and continued doing so long after Idea ceased being anything approaching a fanzine one expected to see another issue of. Because connection. Because friendship.

These few paragraphs contain only a few hints about Judie herself and say nothing about her warm heart, her spirituality, or her many talents. Readers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press Bulletin Board will recall numerous gems contributed by Sergeant Bilko over the years. That was Judie. Just last week, Bulletin Board included a photo of 11-month-old Judie on a pony, taken 70 years ago.

Monday's email included the following grievous news from David:

It is with a heavy heart that I borrow my wife's computer and e-mail agent to send an announcement and invitation.

After a hard struggle with pancreatic cancer, Judie Cilcain passed away at 4:45 PM on Sunday, Sept. 21, attended by Kashia Curney, her daughter, and David S. Cargo, me, her husband.

October 5 would have been our 18th wedding anniversary.

As befits such a unique person, we are having a requiem Eucharist at the Church of Saint Francis on Sunday, Sept. 28, at 10 a.m. The church is at 3201 Pleasant Ave. South in Minneapolis, near the intersection of Lake and Lyndale (not far from I-35W).

This will be followed by a vegetarian potluck in the church parlors after the service. We intend this to be a boisterous and rousing party in her memory.

Please feel free to share this announcement with any of your friend who were also friends of Judie. The more, the merrier.

Warm regards,

David S. Cargo

RIP, Judie. Your friendship was a blessing.
The Guardian does a fine job of reporting on the Ig Nobel Prize that has me pumping my fist while exclaiming yes each and every time I see reference to it. I've had favorites before, but never has there been a prize that I claim as mine.

"And what prize might that be, Geri?"

The PSYCHOLOGY PRIZE [AUSTRALIA, UK, USA]: Peter K. Jonason, Amy Jones, and Minna Lyons, for amassing evidence that people who habitually stay up late are, on average, more self-admiring, more manipulative, and more psychopathic than people who habitually arise early in the morning.

REFERENCE: Creatures of the Night: Chronotypes and the Dark Triad Traits, Peter K. Jonason, Amy Jones, and Minna Lyons, Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 55, no. 5, 2013, pp. 538-541.

Heck, even the comments made so far on the Guardian site are good, especially this series at the beginning:

wiganwill 19 September 2014 12:40am

First time I have ever been around at the right time to make the opening comment and it turns out this suggests I am a psychopath. Great.

richardmuu wiganwill 19 September 2014 1:20am

Go to bed. Now.

chutzzpah wiganwill 19 September 2014 1:32am

It's not late.

Proper Psychopaths stay up till at least 3am.
Maybe you're just a Narcissist with Insomnia ;)


Okay. Gotta work now. And collapse. Excellent times in Sanders Theatre have me rather on the wiped side.

All of this year's winners are online at Improbable Research, and in worldwide media coverage.

Today, in the Boston Globe...

In the Food section, Peggy Hernandez writes about The Ig Nobel Cookbook.

Now available from the Harvard Book Store and Amazon. Also available from Amazon in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain. A radio interview with Marc Abrahams and Corky White is scheduled to run on Public Radio International's The World today. The interview with PRI's Clark Boyd is at the same cafe where Corky first came up with the idea to do an Ig Nobel cookbook.

Yes, it's Ig week. The cookbook celebrates this year's theme: Food. I had a blast doing the layout and learning just what a remarkable future we live in vis a vis POD publishing.

n6tqs is my assistant helping run the slides for the show. That's something of a last-minute thing that's working out very well. Likewise, James Donald stepped into the job of slide show producer just a couple of weeks ago and has quickly put together by far the best set of slides we've ever had. Win.

As usual, there's a Live Webcast starting at 5:40 pm US Eastern Time) on Thursday, September 18th for all who, for whatever reason, can't join us in Sanders Theatre. The ceremony starts at 6 and typically runs about 1.5 hours. Miss Sweetie Poo helps us keep on schedule.

There's also the NSA Courtesy Feed (a second, parallel video feed run as a courtesy to the world's security agencies) James Harkin (QI's head elf) and Polina Harkin will be live-tweeting from the stage at @ImprobResearch. Audience members will be live tweeting with hashtag #IgNobel.

So. Much. Fun.

Typography QOTD

"I think the typeface is awesome. It sacrifices utility for artistic integrity." – jerwin

Posted in the BoingBoing discussion about the Pantone bheer labels design concept from Txaber, a designer in Spain.

With a tip o'the link hat to benveniste.

One of *those* nights

The Panix mail server is down. Has been for nearly 5 hours now, which is unprecedented in my experience with them. It's the third consecutive night they've had problems, and this is by far the longest service interruption.

Review documents for 5 projects are sitting in my Eudora Out box, waiting for Panix to be back up and running. The client for most of them is surely asleep, but the colleague needing to review another is in Australia and it would be truly useful to get it into her hands while she's awake.

I have the option of using Gmail, well, I would if the hard drive on the desktop computer weren't showing up as bright red in the Disk Utility window and showing the "This drive is failing and unrepairable" S.M.A.R.T message. The only part of this that's news is the actual error message; the drive has clearly been on the edge for long enough that fivemack advised me on it an entire month ago.

Anyway, I'm up to date on Time Machine, but online reading tonight tells me it's not bootable. SuperDuper is, but sometime back I stopped it's regular updates from that computer for some reason I don't remember now. My hindbrain is telling me there's some sort of error with it, perhaps related to the failing drive, but I'm at least giving it a shot at making a current backup tonight. So I'm leaving the ailing computer alone to do whatever it can in that regard.

Ordinarily, a smart thing to do under these circumstances would be to simply go to bed and tackle everything again after some more sleep than I've had of late.

But tonight I'm staying up not only because of the 13 PROmote projects currently on my plate, some of them extremely time sensitive, I'm staying up to see if the bat comes flying about indoors again.

Yep...no email...actively dying hard drive...and a bat. A pretty bat, and one that may well have flown out on its own when I gave it the opportunity for about 90 minutes 7 hours ago. batwrangler was ever so helpful on the phone, and with some email follow-up before Panix went down. It's only the second time I've had a bat in the house, and the last time was a good 5 years ago, I think. Long enough ago for me to have forgotten the basics beyond "don't panic."

So, yeah. One of those nights. Still not panicking. But, yeah, still on Eudora despite all of my various good intentions and determination to move to Mac Mail so as to start using more modern Mac operating systems.

Then again, pieces of Creative Suite aren't working on the newer laptop, either.

Just call me doomed.

Doomed and too experienced in all things computer to think anything other than the fact that this will all work out.

And while I know better than to be certain, I think it's most likely the bat has taken its leave, too.



Geri 2014
Geri Sullivan

Latest Month

April 2017



RSS Atom
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Ideacodes